Your Skin Tone and the Right Shade of White for Your Dress
If, like most people, you have chosen white for your wedding dress, you will quickly realise that not all whites are the same! Here we take a look at the different types of white, and what skin colours they suit best.
Champagne, eggshell, candlelight, ivory, pearl, optic white... I bet you never realised there were so many shades of white until now! But which one is the best for you? Let's take a look at the possibilities...
- Bright, stark or optic white. The whitest of whites, and man-made fabrics will be the whitest of all.
- Silk, diamond or natural white. Just a shade off stark white, but looks almost the same in photos.
- Ivory, eggshell or candlelight. Varies from white with yellow undertones to an actual creamy colour.
- Rum or champagne. A white with pink undertones.
The skin tones
- Very fair. Avoid stark white as it will wash you out, instead choose something with a touch of yellow like ivory, eggshell or candlelight. Red heads usually fall into this category and look fantastic in cream.
- Medium skin with pink undertones. The ivory, eggshell or candlelight range suits you well, as it will balance out the red in your complexion.
- Olive skin with yellow undertones. You want to choose something with pink undertones to balance the yellow in your skin, so choose rum or champagne to give a dewy look.
- Dark skin. Congratulations, almost any white will look fantastic, especially the stark white and champagne options. The only one to be wary of will be the creamy range, perhaps having too much yellow, but depends on the undertones of your skin.
Universal. Silk, diamond or natural white suits almost anyone!
Photo 1: Vonlee Bridal Hire
Photo 2: Xterity London
Photo 3: Formal Elegance Bridal Boutique
Other articles that may be of interest to you
Monica Lorraine2 08 11
Monique L'Huillier has launched their 2012 bridal collection, featuring a range of short wedding dresses and full wedding ball gowns.
weddingspot.co.uk9 11 11
The bouquet is a quintessential item for the wedding ceremony, and it says a lot about you. If you are the traditional type you will want a...
Monica Lorraine2 03 11
Parisian based bridal desienger, Cymbeline has launched a bridal collection that offers something for everyone's tastes. From short to long...
weddingspot.co.uk13 06 11
Civil weddings are not the same as religious ones and each has its ideal wedding dress style. If you are having a civil ceremony and have...